De grootste kennisbank van het HBO

Inspiratie op jouw vakgebied

Vrij toegankelijk

Terug naar zoekresultatenDeel deze publicatie

Dose to the masseter muscle and risk of trismus after chemoradiation for advanced head & neck cancer

Rechten: Alle rechten voorbehouden

Dose to the masseter muscle and risk of trismus after chemoradiation for advanced head & neck cancer

Rechten: Alle rechten voorbehouden

Samenvatting

Purpose / objective:
Head and neck cancer patients treated with chemoradiation are at risk for developing trismus (reduced mouth opening). Trismus is often a persisting side-effect and difficult to manage. It impairs eating, speech and oral hygiene, affecting quality of life. Although several studies identified the masseter muscle (MM) as one of the main organs at risk, currently this structure is rarely considered during treatment planning. Prospective studies for chemoradiation are lacking. The aim of our study was to quantify the relationship between radiation dose to the MM and development of radiation-induced trismus in an IMRT-VMAT population.

Results:
At the first evaluation, 6-12 weeks post-treatment, fourteen patients had developed radiation-induced trismus (15%). On average, mouth opening decreased with 4.1 mm, or 8.2 % relative to baseline. Mean dose to the ipsilateral MM was a stronger predictor for trismus than mean dose to the contralateral MM, as indicated by the lowest -2 log likelihood (Table 1). Figure 1A shows the correlation between the ipsilateral mean masseter dose and the relative decrease in mouth opening, with trismus cases indicated in red. No trismus cases were observed in 33 patients (35%) with a mean dose to the ipsilateral MM < 20 Gy. The risk of trismus in the other 60 patients (65%) increased with higher mean doses to the ipsilateral MM. Figure 1B shows the fitted NTCP curve as a function of the mean dose, with a TD50 of 55 Gy. The actual incidence (with 1 SE) of trismus cases within 5 dose bins is indicated as well, showing a good correspondence with the NTCP fit with a relatively large uncertainty in the dose area > 50 Gy. Patients with tumors located in the oropharynx were at highest risk.

Toon meer
OrganisatieHogeschool Inholland
Opleiding
InstituutDomein Gezondheid, Sport en Welzijn
LectoraatMedische Technologie
Gepubliceerd in
Datum2015-12-01
TypeAndersoortig materiaal
TaalOnbekend

Op de HBO Kennisbank vind je publicaties van 25 hogescholen

De grootste kennisbank van het HBO

Inspiratie op jouw vakgebied

Vrij toegankelijk